Saturday, May 7, 2011

By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea!!

I've been really busy this past month, but I am happy to announce that I am officially living in Alaska again!  Woohoo!!  And so begins another adventure.....

I am living and working up here in Glacier Bay National Park.  This is a marine-based park.  I am a mountain girl.  I have been completely overwhelmed with new information about tides, boats, whales, etc. so when I get back home I am going to be so smart :)  I have been introduced to a completely new ecosystem which I am thrilled to learn about.  I live right on the rocky shore and it is common to see little sea creatures and beautiful shells on my way to work.  I'm loving it!

I've got some fun excursions planned in these next few weeks, including a camping trip, a kayaking trip, and a boating trip further up in Glacier Bay.  I've already eaten large amounts of halibut and salmon (YES!!) and I know some people that are willing to take me out fishing with them on my days off.  It is cold, and I saw the sun for the first time yesterday since I got here.  It rains A LOT.  I've never seen so much rain in my life. 

My favorite thing about working for the Park Service is that I get to meet amazing people from all over the world, people that have had many more adventures than I have.  My supervisor is one such person.  He has done everything and has so many wonderful stories.  We were hiking the other day and I was asking him about where I should even start to learn all of these new things about the job and the area.  He gave me some great advice.  He said that the beauty of the park is in all of the small things, and as soon as I experience and learn about the things that are right at my feet, the big picture will start to make sense and I will begin to appreciate everything so much more.  That applies to my job, but it also applies to my life.  How easy it is to overlook the beauty of life that is right at our feet!

Here are some pictures.  If they don't load at first, try refreshing your browser, it sometimes is a little picky.

I got to see my Alaskan family....the Verhagens!
In front of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

I was the only passenger on a tiny plane over to Gustavus

The view from my my house in Glacier Bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment